University is a fantastic way to become independent and learn how to look after yourself. It is a massive change in your life and everyone will experience homesickness at some point. I was surprised by how well I coped with the transition from home to Uni. I didn’t get homesick until after Christmas. This term is very long, and when I go home for Easter it will be three months since I’ve seen my family.
It’s okay to feel homesick and it is completely normal.
How to combat homesickness:
- Ring/Skype your family – it might help just to hear their voice and talk to them. I tend to ring my mum most days just to tell her about my day
- Go out with your friends – spending time with other people provides a great distraction from missing home. Go for a walk, get a coffee, explore your surroundings.
- Get your friends to come and visit you.
- Read a book, listen to music or watch your favourite show on Netflix
- Cook your favourite meal, perhaps one you enjoyed eating at home. It’s good to treat yourself