Trying to think of everything you need to take to University is a daunting task. It feels like there is so much to remember and you will probably forget something.
I did all my shopping in IKEA and ASDA. These are both affordable places to buy things.
My top tip would be to not buy too much. If you can, check with your flatmates what everyone is bringing with them, else you may end up with 6 cheese graters and 6 toastie makers – and kitchen space is limited!
In my flat, all appliances such as kettle, toaster, microwave etc were provided so I didn’t need to worry about those.
This is a rough guide to what I took to university (It was 6 months ago so I won’t remember everything!)
- Bedding – duvet, duvet covers, bottom sheet, mattress protector (you don’t know who was sleeping in your bed last!), pillows
- Extension Leads – often there will be a lack of plug sockets or they will be miles away from your bed – I have two and they’re super useful
- Coathangers! Super important
- Laundry basket/bags so you have something to carry your washing to the launderette with
- Photos/posters/fairy lights – anything that makes you feel more at home
- Technology – laptops, iPad, TV etc (make sure you get them insured, I used Endsleigh)
- Stationary (you will need to actually do some uni work at some point)
- Blanket/hot water bottle – my room is always like the Arctic
- Storage Boxes – often there isn’t enough space to store everything
- Medication, First Aid Kit, Batteries, Lightbulbs, Blu Tac etc
- Clothes – couple of fancy dress items for Freshers week and any other events (school uniform is always a popular one)
- Coat – I live up North now and it’s bloody freezing!!
- Cleaning items – bleach, duster and polish, bin bags etc
- Air Freshener
- Toilet Brush
- Toilet Roll!!
- Cutlery, plates, bowls
- A sharp knife
- Wooden spoons, veg peeler, fish slice, serving spoon, grater, colander
- Casserole dish
- Microwave/oven proof dish
- Cling film, Tin Foil
- Washing up Liquid
- Dry Ingredients – pasta, tinned food, salt and pepper etc
- Saucepans and Frying Pans
- Measuring Jug
- Cups and Mugs
- Oven Gloves
ALSO – remember important documents such as your passport, insurance documents, ID, student ID, passport photos in case you need them to sign up for something, University documents, money, bank cards, any tickets you have bought etc.
Probably missed off some things but I hope this rough guide helps!